Whitehead Sports and Social Club is the perfect venue for Hire for Wedding Receptions, Engagement Party, Birthday Party, Anniversary party, Funeral Wake, Christenings
About Us
Whitehead Sports and Social Club

  
History Of Whiteheads

The present day Whiteheads Sports and Social Club, located in scenic parkland at Bassaleg, has its modern origins rooted in a local industrial giant.

In 1921, members of the Whiteheads Company, an expanding industrial company, formed both a cricket club and a football team and a year later, secured a private ground in Maesglas which soon proved to be inadequate due to expansion in both the works and interests in sports and social activities.

This continued until 1927 when Mr L D Whitehead, in recognition of his employees’ well being, purchased Overton House in Cardiff Road.  This building, later known as Court-y-Bella, was re-opened as an institute for employee’s social benefit. In the same year, Mr Whitehead negotiated an agreement with the YMCA to share their parkland ground in Bassaleg.

Similarly the Whiteheads Welfare Scheme was created, administering both Court-y-Bella and the Bassaleg grounds whilst receiving financial supports from the company and its employees. It took full control of the Bassaleg grounds in 1935, purchasing it outright in 1937. Facilities continued to develop and cater for a variety of activities, earning a reputation as one of the finest works club in the County. The highlight of the post-War calendar was undoubtedly the Annual Sports day, which attracted thousands to enjoy a wide range of events.

Throughout the 50’s and early 60’s, the Whitehead Company continued to support the Welfare Scheme until 1967 when the Whitehead Company became a member of the British Steel Corporation. However this change made little difference as this new management proved to be just as supportive of the scheme. Over the next decade, significant changes were made to both the bar and main hall and in 1978, the Bassaleg facilities were further improved by the provision of squash courts.

Nearing the end of the 70’s a group of men, headed by Bill Porter, began the procedure of purchasing the Bassaleg Club house and grounds with the aim to become a private members club. This ultimately came to fruition in 1982 when a new regime under Chairman Bill Porter began.

Modern day Whiteheads has over a thousand members and still enjoys a reputation as one of the finest family ‘Country’ clubs in the area.  It hosts senior and junior football, rugby, cricket and bowls. Indoor activities include squash, a riffle section, skittle alley and a concert room, which boast a large dance floor and regular entertainment.